- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a large non-stick skillet, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, sugar, parsley and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened.
Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain spaghetti; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
Yield: 6 servings
1-1/3 cups equals 369 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Recipe courtesy of tasteofhome.com